Watchlytes Curriculum Statement
At Watchlytes we are fully committed to providing a relevant, broad and balanced curriculum to all children. Through our curriculum we aim to encourage and develop inquisitive thinkers and learners who are engaged in the curriculum via exciting and stimulating opportunities.
The aims of our school curriculum are:
- To enable all children to learn, and develop their skills and knowledge, to the best of their ability
- To promote a positive attitude towards learning, so that children enjoy coming to school, and acquire a solid basis for lifelong learning
- To teach children the basic skills of literacy, numeracy and information and communication technology
- To enable children to be creative and to develop their own thinking
- To teach children about the developing world, including how their environment and society have changed over time
- To help children understand Britain’s cultural heritage
- To appreciate and value the contribution made by all ethnic groups in our multi-cultural society
- To enable children to be positive citizens
- To fulfil all the requirements of the National Curriculum and the Locally Agreed Syllabus for Religious Education
- To teach children to have an awareness of their own spiritual development, and to distinguish right from wrong
- To help children understand the importance of truth and fairness, so that they grow up committed to equal opportunities for all
- To enable children to have respect for themselves and high self-esteem, and to live and work cooperatively with others
Our curriculum is thematic and allows the children to explore different subject areas via exciting topic themes. The themes are relevant and stimulating and allow the children to pursue their own ideas, make progress through the requirements of the National Curriculum and ensure the children develop a broad set of transferable skills.
Our curriculum is motivating and engaging with a strong emphasis on developing English. Visits and visitors are used to help deliver the curriculum in an exciting and stimulating way. Where areas of learning do not fit in to our themes we teach them as high quality stand-alone units.
We aim for all children to leave Watchlytes with the skills, knowledge and ability:
- To appreciate and value the contribution made by different groups in our multicultural society
- To be positive citizens
- To understand the importance of truth and fairness, so that they grow up committed to equal opportunities for all
- To have respect for themselves and high self-esteem, and to live and work co-operatively with others
- To learn and develop their skills, to the best of their ability
- To be creative and to develop their own thinking
- To understand the developing world, including how their environment and society have changed over time.
Check out your child's class page for specific curriculum information.